Friday, March 24, 2006

Villanova preview

All week I’ve been examining different aspects about this game. I’ve already said the keys are how well Villanova shoots, our ability to limit second chances and blocking half a dozen shots.


Now I’ll take a different angle for the preview. Here is what each BC player needs to do tonight.



Craig Smith -- to put it simply, he needs to carry the team. Another double, double is the minimum. He also needs to avoid foul trouble and shoot well from the line. What we don’t need is Craig handling the ball mid-court. He also needs to watch his turnovers.


Jared Dudley -- he’ll be under a little more defensive pressure than Smith, so all BC needs from him is a double digit scoring night and the defensive game of his life (I imagine he’ll matchup against Foye and Ray at various times). I also want Jared to have the ball in his hands late in the game as he will make the smartest play and is a clutch shooter.


Louis Hinnat -- he doesn’t need to repeat his Duke performance, but he does need to protect the ball. Villanova will press and I also think they will copy UNC’s strategy of shooting out at the entry pass into the Flex. Hinnant cannot be casual about starting the offense. He’s been great lately…hopefully it continues.


Sean Marshall -- I don’t think BC needs any points from their most inconsistent scorer. We do need a good defensive effort and a good rebounding night. I don’t think much of Marshall as a defender. He usually can’t keep up with the smaller guards. Yet a few times this year -- like the first Duke game -- he was able to use his size to wear on the opposing team's guard. Tonight is a size night. If he can slow any of the Villanova guys down, it will be enough of a contribution.


John Oates -- Anything we get from Oates tonight will be house money. Given the matchup, I think he’ll see less time than usual.


Tyrese Rice -- Rice needs to come up big. After Smith, Dudley and Hinnant, Rice is probably the next most important factor. He is going to be pressured and trapped throughout the game. He has shown the ability to pass out of it, but I expect it to be relentless tonight. He tends to get caught up in the excitement and make freshman mistakes. Obviously he cannot do that tonight. Finally, I expect Villanova to take a ton of 3s. We won’t need to match them all, but we will need the occasional bomb and we’ll look to Rice to take it.


Sean Williams -- I hope for big things, but we don’t need it. Just some solid minutes and holding onto any long rebounds (which can be a problem for him). Obviously if he gets hot (i.e. more than 4 blocks) we win.


Akida McLain -- he’s been MIA recently. I noticed him getting lost defensively against Virginia and he hasn’t seen the court much since. We could use him tonight since he is one of the few big guys with quick feet. However we don’t need him to win.


Marques Haynes -- he is another guy we don’t need to win, but if he can give us solid minutes, I’d be ecstatic. With a guard heavy opponent he will see the floor. Let’s hope he shines.


I obviously want BC to win. I think they can. I have no idea what sort of scoring prediction to make. I just hope this is the next step and not the end of the line.

No comments: