Thursday, October 03, 2013

BC-Army preview

As I've mentioned, I don't like when politics creeps into sports. Too often people try to exploit people's passion for one into their desired outcome for the other. I use sports as a distraction. Selfishly I am glad BC's playing this weekend. I am also happy for the players on both sides. They only have so many games in their careers. They should cherish each one.

What's on my mind (not totally related to this game)
Brad Bates was hired right after last season's Army game. In hindsight it was probably best to start when things truly bottomed out. It is still to early to guess how his tenure will play out but I am encouraged by Bates' baby steps. While I didn't love the Addazio hire, there is no doubt that our preparation and approach to football is vastly improved. Spaz couldn't get the team ready for Army. I don't think that will ever be an issue for Addazio.

Three Simple Keys
1. No long plays. If an option team beats you with 60 three-yard plays, there's not much you can do. However, allowing them to break big plays is unacceptable. Last year Army killed us with big runs. It is on our DBs to support and run down any breakaways.
2. Get others involved in the passing game. I expect Army to load up the box to stop the run. Rettig should welcome that and be able to get off multiple big passes. I also want to see him get it to some of the other receivers.
3. Get penetration on the defensive line.  This is where the loss of Abdesmad hurts. But our other guys up front should be able to dart in and throw off Army's run game.


Gambling Notes
-- BC hasn't lost two in a row to Army since 1968 and 1969
-- Army hasn't won a road game since 2010
-- Addazio is 2-0 against Army
The current line is BC-11.5

Factoid
Last season's loss snapped a five-game win streak against the Cadets. The longest streak in the series is nine-wins. Army won the first nine times the teams played and BC won nine straight from the '80s to the '90s.

Scoreboard Watching
Maryland-Florida State is a biggie. Both teams are ranked and undefeated. I am curious to see how the Seminoles respond after our game and I am also curious to see how good our future opponent Maryland looks.

I hope to see...
BC build up enough of a lead to let Josh Bordner play. I usually write something similar when we are heavily favored, but this year it has a bit of a different meaning. Bordner is closer to the prototype Addazio-Day QB. Even in mop up time, his play might give us a glimpse into the future of our offense.

BC is in trouble if...
We don't force bad pitches. Last year our defense was always about containment. This season is about pressure. You saw it in the Wake game where we had them flailing around on their option pitches. We need to be even more disruptive against Army. If we're not, it will be a long day.

Bottom Line
This won't be a repeat of last year. I think we will be better prepared for their attack than we were last season. I also think we will control the clock and scoring. Plus the distractions from the shutdown will impact them somewhat. Army missed a practice this week. BC did not. Maybe Army gets a late touchdown to make the game appear less lopsided, but BC wins easily.
Final Score: BC 34, Army 14

1 comment:

JBQ said...

I know that Mehdi was hurt pretty badly. I couldn't find out the result until posted here. The helmet targeting by Nick O'Leary, the tight end for FSU, was a dirty play. Actually, a patellar injury is preferable to one of a spinal variety. I pray for his recovery and hope to see him on the field next season. Is it possible that he could get an extra medical redshirt?